Thu, May 19|
Sponsored by MTV
Giving Us Our Flowers: A Wellness Check-In Curated by Black Girls Smile
Giving Us Our Flowers is a curated wellness experience for Black girls and young women.
Time & Location
May 19, 2022, 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Sponsored by MTV, 961 Image Ave NW, Atlanta, GA 30318, USA
About the event
Giving Us Our Flowers is a curated wellness experience for Black girls and young women. This pop-up style event provides a culturally responsive, affirming, and welcoming space for Black Black girls and young women to learn, share and advocate for their mental health. There has been a lot of discourse over the past few years about ‘giving people their flowers’ while they are alive and this tends to look like acknowledging those who have impacted our lives. We want to approach wellness through this lens of acknowledging those in our life that we want to celebrate while also celebrating our own mental health journeys.
In that spirit, this event will feature the following:
- A build-your-own wellness kit station where participants can choose wellness products, create affirmations for themselves and detail their own wellness plan. Participants will also be able to create a wellness kit for someone else that they want to ‘give flowers to.’
- A meditation corner where people will be able to engage with different forms of meditation, yoga and breathwork led by a trained facilitator.
- An information station where participants can learn more about how they can get more involved with Black Girls Smile’s Junior Advisory Board and the upcoming local activations we have planned for this summer.
- A platform for participants to pitch their own ideas as to how they can activate their local community, family or school around issues related to mental health. Ideas will be voted on by the community present at the event and the idea chosen by the crowd will receive a $1,000 cash prize to go towards funding their idea.
- A flower crown station and light refreshments
We are proud to have this event sponsored by MTV Entertainment Group as part of Mental Health Action Day. Learn more about their efforts here.
Black Girls Smile Inc. is a nonprofit dedicated to encouraging positive mental health education, resources, and support geared toward young Black women and girls. Learn about how you can volunteer and become a Community Champion for mental health here.